Recipe by: Food Network Kitchens
Age Restricted Content
More Recipes You May Like
- 1.35kg trimmed pork shoulder
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 750ml chicken stock
- 250ml dark soy sauce
- 35g packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsps toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 spring onions, cut into 5-cm pieces
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 1 (5-cm) knob unpeeled fresh ginger, thinly
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, optional
- Hot cooked Chinese egg noodles, for serving
How to make Chinese Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder
1. Rub the pork all over with the five-spice powder and salt. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger, the mushrooms, if using, and the meat, turning it a few times to coat. Cover the cooker, set it on HIGH, and cook for 4 hours.
2. Set the cooker on LOW and cook until the meat is very tender, at least another 2 hours (6 hours total).
3. Transfer the pork to a platter, cover lightly, and let rest 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, pour the cooking liquid into a measuringand skim off and discard the vegetables and fat that rise to the surface. the meat and serve warm or at room temperature with noodles and the sauce on the side.