1) Preheat oven to 130°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
2) Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean, dry bowl of a stand mixer and beat until foamy. Add sugar and almond essence and beat until meringues hold soft peaks, about three minutes. Fold in chocolate gently until just incorporated.
3) Using a pastry bag or a sealable plastic bag with the corner snipped off, pipe meringue by the tablespoon onto a baking tray.
4) Bake for 40 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from baking paper.
5) Transfer to an airtight container and serve.
Calories 120; Total Fat 3.5 g; (Sat Fat 2 g, Mono Fat 1 g, Poly Fat 0 g) ; Protein 3 g; Carb 21 g; Fiber 1 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 35 mg