Recipe by: Paula Deen
- 1 (450g) loaf French or Italian bread, cut into cubes
- 700ml milk
- 60ml double cream
- 120ml coffee-flavored liqueur
- 200g granulated sugar
- 180g packed light brown sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsps almond essence
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 230g milk chocolate chips
How to make Chocolate bread pudding
1) Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
2) Lightly grease a 32 by 23-cm baking dish and fill with bread cubes.
3) In a large bowl,together the milk, cream, and liqueur.
4) In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add the cocoa mixture to the milk mixture andto combine.
5) In a medium bowl, add the vanilla essence, almond essence, and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a cake tester inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean.
5) Serve the pudding warm or cold, withcream or a dessert sauce.