Serves: 1 (2 layer) cakeFor the Mexican hot chocolate buttercream:
2) Slowly add the room temperature butter piece by piece until the buttercream takes on a cottage cheese consistency. Add the melted cooled chocolates, and the spices and vanilla until incorporated and smooth.
For the cinnamon vanilla cake:
1) Cream the butter in a stand mixer until smooth and light. Add sugar and continue to mix until fully incorporated and fluffy.
2) Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
4) Combine the milk and vanilla. Add portions of the flour mixture and milk mixture to the electric mixer, alternating, and starting and ending with the flour. Pour evenly into 2 buttered and floured 23cm cake pans.
5) Bake for 40 mins or until golden – the cake should pull away from the side and spring back to the touch. Allow to cool completely on racks
6) Sandwich the two cake layers together with the Mexican hot chocolate buttercream. Ice the cake and decorate as desired.