For the clams:
1) Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook 3 minutes, until golden brown. Add spring onions, clams and the vermouth (if using) and simmer 1 minute. Add 250ml of the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until shells open. Discard any shells that do not open.
2) With a slotted spoon, remove clams from pan and set aside. Simmer 2 minutes until sauce thickens. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
3) Serve 1/2 of the clams (24 to 36) over rice and cover with thickened sauce. Top with parsley and serve with the garlic toast. Reserve the remaining clams (about 2 dozen) for fettuccine, if desired.
For the garlic toast:
1) Cut the baguette into 2.5cm thick slices. Place the bread slices on a baking tray and drizzle some olive oil over them.
2) Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden and crispy. While still warm, rub the garlic clove on the toasts.