Made this? How was it?
For the cupcakes:
- 210g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 135g caster sugar
- 170g unsalted , melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 125ml milk
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites
- 135g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3g finely lemon zest
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Pinch fine salt
- 1 to 2 drops pastel food colouring
How to make Classic cupcakes with lemon meringue icing
Equipment: Standard 12 (1/2
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2) the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
3) In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 mins. While beating, gradually pour in the and then the vanilla.
4) While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared tin (about 80ml batter per cake).
5) Bake until a tester inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean, 20 to 25 mins. Cool cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 mins, then remove. Cool on the rack completely.
6) For the meringue: Bring about 5cm of water to a boil in a saucepan that can hold a mixer's bowl above the water. the egg whites, sugar, lemon juice and zest, cream of tarter and salt in the bowl by hand. Set the bowl above the boiling water and continue until the mixture is hot to the touch and the sugar dissolves, about 1 to 2 mins. Transfer the mixture to a standing mixer fitted with the attachment and beat at medium-high speed until meringue is cool and holds a soft peak, about 5 mins. Add a few drops of desired food colouring and continue beating until it holds stiff peaks.
7) To decorate: Using a spoon, offset spatula or bag, dollop, spread or meringue on top of each cupcake. Use the back of a spoon to create peaks and valleys in the cupcake as desired.
- Little Lemon Meringue Pies
- Lemon Ice Cream Meringue Pie
- Almond cupcakes with raspberry glaz...
- Lemon kiwi cupcakes
- Chocolate cherry cola cupcakes with...
- Gilbert ganache-fried cupcakes: cho...
- Classic Cheesecake
- Red Velvet Cupcakes with Almond Ici...
- Apple cupcakes
- Chocolate chip cannoli cupcake
- Classic yellow cupcakes
- Cinnamon sugar graham cupcakes