Serves: about 24 macaroons
1) Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
2) Whisk the sugar, egg whites, cranberry, orange zest, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Toss the coconut with the egg mixture until completely coated.
3) Moisten your finger tips with water. Form about 1 heaping tbsp of the batter into pointed mounds or pyramids on the prepared pans, spacing them about 2.5cm apart.
4) Bake until the edges are golden brown and the entire macaroon is nicely toasted and dry, 16 to 20 mins. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve.
* Cook's Note: Store macaroons in a tightly sealed container for up to a week.