1) Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
2) Mix together coconut flakes and 1/4 tsp cinnamon on a baking tray and toast coconut until edges are golden, stirring occasionally.
3) In a small saucepan on medium heat, melt 100g of the sugar until it becomes a golden brown caramel.
4) Working quickly and with purpose, before the caramel hardens, pour the syrup into the pie plate, tilting the plate to completely cover the bottom.
5) In another small saucepan, bring the coconut milk and evaporated milk to a simmer.
6) In a large bowl combine the remaining sugar, cinnamon, eggs, salt, and vanilla. Pour a little of the milk mixture into the bowl and whisk well to temper the eggs. Whisk in a little more milk, then pour the entire egg mixture into the pot. Strain custard then pour into pie dish.
7) Place pie dish inside a roasting pan. Fill dish with hot water to about 2.5cms up the side of the pie pan. Bake until the center sets, about 45 to 50 minutes.
8) Remove custard from oven and let cool 1/2 hour in the water bath.
9) To serve, invert custard onto a serving plate. Top with toasted coconut and slice into wedges.