1) In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat combined the coconut milk, lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, green chillies and the fish sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiled, remove from the heat and let cool.
2) Cut trout into six even pieces and place them into a deep tray. Pour the chilled coconut marinade over the top. Leave the trout to marinade, covered, in the fridge over night.
3) The next day, place seasoned trout in a pan with salt and oil and leave for a minute.
4) In two large cast-iron pans or regular non-stick pans over low-medium heat, fry fish for about 4 minutes. Turn the heat up and leave for 2 to 3 minutes. Take the trout out of the pan and let rest for a minute.
5) Serve the trout alongside the salad and dressing of choice.
Roasted chilli dressing:
1) Fill a wok on medium heat with 2 litres of groundnut oil and bring up to between 160C and 180C.
2) Place the chillies into the wok and fry for around 20 seconds. Take out and place on paper towel to dry. Then fry the shallots. Once the shallots come out and are placed onto a paper towel, use a fork to fluff them up, then season with salt and give a light dusting of icing sugar to enhance and balance the flavour.
3) Add the sliced garlic to a medium pan and pour over 200ml of milk; bring to the boil. Strain off and then run under cold water to rinse excess milk.
4) Place the garlic into a clean small saucepan and pour in cold oil to cover above the garlic by around 2.5cms. Place on high heat and bring it to a boil quickly. Turn the heat down to medium and let cook until garlic is ready. Once it starts to turn a light golden, strain into a container (make sure the strainer and container won't melt when you strain off the hot oil). Lay out on a paper towel.
5) In a medium saucepan bring the palm sugar and water to a boil and let cool for 20 minutes before you make the dressing.
6) In a food processor, add half of the fried ingredients and blitz until it is like a powder, then slowly pour in half of the palm sugar water and blitz for a minute. In a large mixing bowl, pour in the mixture and repeat with the remainders. Add the lime juice and fish sauce and reserve on the side until needed.
Avocado, Crab and pomelo salad:
1) In six separate mixing bowls, evenly divide the red onion, spring onion, chilli, crab, avocado, pomelo, Thai basil and coriander. Reserve on the side.
Hot and sour dressing:
1) In a small bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well. Reserve on the side.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.