Place crabs in the freezer to put them to sleep.
For this curry just use the legs and claws, as they are massive. Keeping the heads for a salad or risotto. Any crustaceans can be used instead of the king and snow crab. Mud crabs would be ideal. To make eating easier and to impart the flavour, crack all the legs and claws without breaking them apart.
1. To make the paste peel the shallots, ginger, turmeric, and garlic. De-seed the fresh and dried chilli.
2. Fry the gapi in a pan until it becomes fragrant.
3. Scrape and wash the coriander roots.
4. Chop all ingredients and pound in a pestle and mortar to make a fine paste. If you don’t own a pestle and mortar a blender can be used.
5. Heat a wok until it's smoking hot. Add a generous amount of oil and the crab. Stir fry for 3 mins. Add the paste and aubergine and continue to stir. Cook for a further 8 mins. Turn off the heat and season with lime juice fish sauce and sugar.
6. Finely slice the lime leafs and chilli. Scatter over the top along with the herbs and bean shoots. Serve with rice.