2) Add the curry powder, turmeric and bay leaves and stir until the vegetables look like they are coated in a paste of spices. Add the stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
For the fish:
1) In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the cod pieces until one side is crispy.
2) Pour 500ml of the flavoured stock into the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer until the fish is completely cooked.
For the rice:
1) Pour the remaining flavoured stock in a measuring jug and add enough water to bring it up to 750ml. Pour the liquid into a saucepan and add the rice and sultanas. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue to cook for 20 minutes.
1) Make a bed of rice in a soup plate, place a piece of fish on top, and spoon in some of the stock.