2) Gently stir in the fruit until all the ingredients are combined. Continue to cook for about 6 to 8 minutes over a medium heat until caramelized.
3) Sieve the fruit from the pan, leaving the sauce in the pan, and allow the fruit to cool to room temperature.
4) Unroll the pastry onto a baking sheet. Spread the fruit over the pastry, leaving a 5cm border all around. With the long end closest to you, fold the pastry into thirds, then repeat ending with the seam down. Close the short ends by pinching or crimping and brush with egg yolk.
5) Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
6) In the meantime, heat up the remaining sauce over a medium heat, fortify with rum and the remaining 2 tbsp of butter.
7) When the strudel is cooked, remove it from the oven and slice immediately into 6 pieces. Drizzle some of the sauce onto dessert plates, place a strudel slice on top and dust with icing sugar.