2) Remove from the heat, cover and keep warm.
For the black eyed pea mix:
1) In a large bowl combine the black-eyed peas, shallots, peppers and ham. Mix in the cornflour, egg whites and salt and pepper, to taste.
2) Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or deep-fryer until it reaches 160C. Working in batches and using 2 spoons, carefully slide small portions (bites) of the pea mixture into the hot oil. The pea mixture is not very firm, so you have to slide them into the hot oil very slowly so that they will keep their shape.
3) Deep-fry for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oil and drain on a kitchen paper lined baking tray.
4) Serve with warm cranberry dipping sauce.