Made this? How was it?
- 6L hot water
- 450g salt
- 450g dark brown sugar
- 2.25kg ice
- 1 (5.9 to 6.3kg) turkey, with giblets removed
- Approximately 15 to 17L peanut oil*
How to make Deep-fried turkey
1) Place the hot water, salt and brown sugar into a 19L upright drink cooler and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve completely. Add the ice and stir until the mixture is cool. Gently lower the turkey into the container. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure that it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and set in a cool dry place for 8 to 16 hrs.
2) Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 mins prior to cooking.
3) Place the oil into a 28 to 30L pot and set over high heat on an outside propane burner with a sturdy structure. Bring the temperature of the oil to 120C. Once the temperature has reached 120, slowly lower the bird into the oil and bring the temperature to 175C. Once it has reached 175, lower the heat in order to maintain 175C. After 35 mins, check the temperature of the turkey using a probe thermometer. Once the breast reaches 66C, gently remove from the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 mins prior to carving. The bird will reach an internal temperature of 71C due to carry over cooking. Carve as desired.
* Cook's Note: In order to determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey into the pot that you will be frying it in, add water just until it barely covers the top of the turkey and is at least 10 to 12cm below the top of the pot. This will be the amount of oil you use for frying the turkey.
- Deep-fried pickles
- Deep-fried savoury chicken pie
- Big Daddy's deep-fried catfish
- Pollo diablo (Garlicky, spicy, deep...
- Deep-fried Oyster Po' Boy Sandwiche...
- Deep-fried crabs
- Deep-fried cranberry sauce fritters...
- Deep-fried ham
- Ultimate fantasy deep-fried cheesec...
- Deep-fried bagel sandwich
- Deep-fried truffle cupcakes
- Deep-fried stuffing on a stick