2) Place one paper case into each section of a bun tin.
To make the cupcakes (fairy cakes):
1) Whisk together wholemeal flour, self-raising flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
2) Combine the sour cream and buttermilk in a small bowl and set aside.
3) Combine the butter, oil and brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor and mix on high speed, for about 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light in colour. Add the egg and egg white and beat for an additional minute. Add 1/3 of flour-cocoa mixture, then 1/3 sour cream-buttermilk mixture, mixing well after each addition. Repeat with remaining dry and wet ingredients until well mixed.
4) Spoon the mixture evenly between the paper cases. Place the bun tin in the oven and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted into cakes, comes out clean.
5) Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing:
1) Combine the icing sugar and milk in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add the chocolate and stir until it has completely melted and the icing is the consistency of thick pancake batter; add more milk if necessary.
2) While the icing is still warm, top each cake with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of icing and set aside, for about 10 minutes, to let the icing harden completely.
For the squiggle:
1) Place the cream cheese in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for approximately 10 to 15 seconds, until the cream cheese is melted but before it begins to bubble.
2) Add the icing sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
3) Let mixture cool slightly and transfer it to a piping bag. Pipe a squiggle of icing down the centre of each cake.
Note: Remember, if you are using fairy cake papers they are smaller than cupcakes so you will need more paper cases for this recipe and may have to adjust the baking time.
Total Fat 16 g; (Sat Fat 6 g, Mono Fat 5 g, Poly Fat 2 g) ;
Protein 5 g;
Carb 40 g;
Fibre 3 g;
Cholesterol 45 mg;
Sodium 230 mg