Made this? How was it?
For the cupcakes (fairy cakes):
- 85g wholemeal flour
- 85g self-raising flour
- 45g natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g low fat sour cream
- 65ml low fat buttermilk
- 25g unsalted
- 65ml rapeseed oil
- 85g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 55g sugar
- 1 tbsp skimmed milk, plus more if needed
- 40g plain chocolate (60 to 70 percent cocoa solids) finely
For the squiggle:
- 1 1/2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp sugar
How to make Devil's food cupcakes with chocolate icing
1) Place a shelf in the centre of oven and preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2) Place one paper case into each section of a bun tin.
To make the cupcakes (fairy cakes):
1)together wholemeal flour, self-raising flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
2) Combine the sour cream and buttermilk in a small bowl and set aside.
3) Combine the, oil and brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor and mix on high speed, for about 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light in colour. Add the egg and egg white and beat for an additional minute. Add 1/3 of flour-cocoa mixture, then 1/3 sour cream-buttermilk mixture, mixing well after each addition. Repeat with remaining dry and wet ingredients until well mixed.
4) Spoon the mixture evenly between the paper cases. Place the bun tin in the oven and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted into cakes, comes out clean.
5) Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
1) Combine thesugar and milk in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add the chocolate and stir until it has completely melted and the is the consistency of thick pancake batter; add more milk if necessary.
2) While theis still warm, top each cake with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of and set aside, for about 10 minutes, to let the harden completely.
For the squiggle:
1) Place the cream cheese in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for approximately 10 to 15 seconds, until the cream cheese is melted but before it begins to bubble.
2) Add thesugar and stir until it is dissolved.
3) Let mixture cool slightly and transfer it to abag. a squiggle of down the centre of each cake.
Note: Remember, if you are using fairy cake papers they are smaller than cupcakes so you will need more paper cases for this recipe and may have to adjust the baking time.
Total Fat 16 g; (Sat Fat 6 g, Mono Fat 5 g, Poly Fat 2 g) ;
Protein 5 g;
Carb 40 g;
Fibre 3 g;
Cholesterol 45 mg;
Sodium 230 mg
- Devil's food cake
- Chocolate devil's food cupcakes
- Little Devil's Food Cakes
- Individual Chocolate Cakes
- Devil's Food Cake
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Devil's food cupcakes
- Working blue cupcakes: ginger cakes...
- Chocolate-glazed fairy cakes
- Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate m...
- Sparkling baby cakes
- Apple nutmeg pine nut cakes with br...