1. Cook the potatoes in salted water and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Mash the potatoes very well or press through a fine sieve into a basin, then cover and keep warm.
2. Cream the yeast in a bowl with the reserved tepid potato liquid and a spoonful of the sugar, and mix well as it froths up (if it does not froth, it is not satisfactory to use).
3. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl with the salt and rub in the Pure dairy free sunflower spread. Make a well in the centre and add the rest of the sugar and the mashed potatoes, mixing well.
4. Mix the tepid rice milk with the warm water to the yeast liquid, mix and add to the mixing bowl, then beat in the beaten egg. Knead very well. Cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
5. Turn out mixture onto a floured surface and shape into rolls. Arrange the rolls in the bottom of a well-greased 30cm cast-iron casserole (or similar), well spaced, to allow for rising. cover and leave for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Mix together the rosemary, thyme, garlic and oil in a small bowl and then brush over the tops of the risen dinner rolls. Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Once they are cooked, transfer them to a wire rack and leave to cool completely, then serve on the day that they are made.