- 500 g beef mince
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onions
- 4 garlic clove
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 400 g plum tomato
- 225 g kidney bean
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 1 large bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 to taste salt and pepper
How to make Easy Chilli Con Carne
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. I use a wok, to feel exotic. Cook the garlic, onion and chillis until your kitchen smells wonderful. I prefer to keep the onion fairly crisp. The less oil you use the better but a tablespoon is a good guideline.
- Add the beef mince and fry until browned, then drain off as much oil as you can.
- Add the stock, tomato purée and tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the kidney beans, paprika, cumin and coriander and season well. If you like your bell pepper nice and soft, add it here.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for as long as you have. Time suits this recipe well but if you only have five minutes, so be it. Halfway through the simmering time, add the bell pepper if you haven't already. Now is also a good time to get rice cooking.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg if you like, I find it gives it a subtle undertone, but it's down to personal taste. More black pepper works well at this point too. Taste it, add more cumin and possibly chilli powder if it suits your taste.
- Serve with rice, tortillas or tortilla chips as you prefer. Goes great with sour cream.
(Courtesy of Food.com)