Notes: This American-Chinese dish is very popular in American takeaways and Chinese fast food outlets. It is basically a folded omelette with plenty of Chinese ingredients such as bean sprouts, water chestnuts, dried shrimps, mushrooms, roast pork and shredded chicken, served with a soy sauce 'gravy'. I like mine filled with plenty of shiitake mushrooms, diced bacon, red pepper and spring onions, served with salad, some red pepper and sweet chilli sauce, and washed down with orange juice - the perfect summer brunch.
1) To make the sauce: preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the sliced peppers in a sheet pan and drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast the peppers for 10 minutes and then remove them from the oven*.
Cook's Note: For this sauce, you can cheat and buy ready roasted sweet peppers!
2) Combine the roasted peppers with the sweet chilli sauce and lime juice in a bowl and blend well. Chill the peppers until ready to serve.
Cook's Note: This recipe can easily be turned into a traditional Sien Dan Juen dish by simply adding a small handful of raw bean sprouts, sliced spring onion, and roasted cooked stripped chicken. Wrap these in the egg fu young, drizzle with the roasted red pepper and sweet chilli sauce and there you have your authentic Taiwanese version.
3) To make the egg fu young: heat a wok over a high heat and add one tablespoon of groundnut oil. Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, bacon and stir-fry for one minute, or until fragrant.
4) Add the stir-fry mixture to the beaten eggs, discarding any liquid from the wok.
5) Wipe down the wok, set it over a high heat, and add two tablespoons of groundnut oil, swirling to coat the wok. Pour in half of the egg mixture and cook for one minute, or until the eggs are slightly golden brown on the underside. Then flip the eggs over and cook for another minute on the second side. Transfer the omelette to a warmed plate and cover with foil while you make the second batch in the same way.
6) Serve the dish with mixed salad leaves tossed with a dash of the red pepper and chilli sauce. If you have not prepared the sauce, substitute a few drops of hot sauce.