Made this? How was it?
- 1 (1.35kg) fillet of beef, trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning, plus 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 to 4 tbsp good-quality olive oil
- 110g bacon,
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350ml good-quality dry red wine, such as Burgundy or Chianti
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 225g pearl onions or small shallots, peeled
- 8 to 10 carrots, cut diagonally into 2cm thick
- 45g unsalted , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250g mushrooms, 1cm thick (domestic or wild)
How to make Fillet of Beef Bourguignon
1) With a sharp knife, cut the fillet crosswise into 2cm-thick. Salt and pepper the fillets on both sides. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat, saute the of beef in batches with 2 to 3 tbsp oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the fillets from the pan and set aside on a platter.
2) In the same pan, saute the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside. Drain all the fat, except 2 tbsp, from the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3) Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the beef stock, tomato puree, thyme, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
4) Strain the sauce and return it to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.
5) With a fork2 tbsp and the flour into a paste and it gently into the sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms separately in 1 tbsp and 1 tbsp oil for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
6) Add the fillet of beef, the mushrooms and the bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Season, to taste, and serve immediately.