- 2 tbsps of groundnut oil
- 2 spring onions, cut on the diagonal into 2.5cm
- 1 tbsp of Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 250g lean minced pork
- 1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely
- 2.5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely
- 1 aubergine (about 200g), into batons
- Salt and ground white pepper
For the Sauce:
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang black rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp of water
How to make Fish-Fragrant Aubergine with Pork
Heat a wok over a high heat until it starts to smoke and then pour in half the groundnut oil. Add the aubergine pieces and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until browned, adding a dash of water now and then to soften the aubergine. Once it is cooked, transfer to a plate.
Reheat the wok and add the remaining groundnut oil. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and Sichuan peppercorns and stirfry for a few seconds, then add the pork, breaking it up in the wok with a wooden spoon. As the pork starts to turn brown, add the rice wine or dry sherry and cook for 2 minutes.
Pour in the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then add the spring onions and cook for just under a minute or until softened. Season further, to taste, with salt and pepper and serve immediately with jasmine or brown rice.
Ching's Fast Food is published by HarperCollins, priced £20.
- Ching's Yangzhou Fried Rice
- Yangzhou Fried Rice
- Posh Chopped Suey
- Beef and Black Bean Ho Fun
- Oyster Sauce Chicken with Bok Choy
- Three Cup Chicken with Garlic Spina...
- Vegetable Lettuce Wraps ('Sin Cai B...
- Ginger, Carrot, and Sesame Green Be...
- Steamed Sea Bass with Ginger and Mu...
- Sweet and sour duck
- Roast beef in four-spiced chilli oi...
- Chicken and black bean stir-fry