More Recipes You May Like
For the lentils:
- 50g of urad dal (white lentils)
- 50g of chana dal
- 50g of masoor dal (red lentils)
- 50g of toor dal (oily/waxy lentil)
- 100g green moong or mung dal
- 1 tsp turmeric
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- Salt, to season
For the spice mix:
- 3 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, thinly
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly
- 20g ginger,
- 3-4 green chillies slit into halves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tbsp coriander
For the garnish:
- A dollop of yoghurt
- 2 tbsp of ghee of clarified butter heated with 1 tsp red chilli powder and poured over the yoghurt
How to make Five Jewelled Dal
Wash the lentils in warm water until the water runs clear. Soak in warm water for approximately an hour then drain.
Using a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the drained lentils along with 800ml of water. Bring to the boil and remove any scum that forms.
Now add the turmeric and the asafoetida. Cover and simmer until the lentils are almost cooked then add some salt. Allow the lentils to cook completely.
Using a separate wide frying pan, heat the ghee until hot, then add the asafoetida and the cumin seeds. Once they begin to splutter, which will take a couple of seconds, add the onions. Fry until the onions start to brown at the edges.
Now add the garlic, chillies and the ginger. Continue to fry, until the whole mixture turns golden brown.
Toss the onion mixture onto the lentils along with the garam masala.
Stir in the lime juice and thecoriander.
Serve in bowls with a small dollop of yoghurt drizzled over the chilli butter.