1) In a pan, caramelise the apple with some caster sugar, a knob of butter, the star anise and cinnamon. Remember to keep a few pieces of raw apple to one side for garnish.
2) Add a small squeeze of lemon juice and allow to cook for 7-8 minutes.
3) Whisk the egg with a little sugar, a little grated nutmeg and cream.
4) Soak the bread in the egg mixture for 1 minute each side until the mixture has been absorbed all the way through.
5) Add the blueberries to the caramelising apples and cook for a further 1 minute, tossing to coat all the fruit.
6) Fry the bread gently for a minute on each side in butter, or until it is golden on both sides.
7) Serve the French toast with the caramelised fruits on top.