2) Remove from the heat and add the citrus juices. Combine the berries in a bowl. Strain the warm syrup over the berries and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Reserve until needed.
To make the French toast:
1) In a small saucepan, heat the milk with the cinnamon, just until bubbles form around the side of the pan. Remove from the heat; set aside to steep for 30 minutes.
2) In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the nutmeg and sugar. Strain the milk into the eggs and discard the cinnamon pieces. Whisk to make a smooth batter.
3) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Slice the bread with a serrated knife on the diagonal, into 18 pieces each 2.5cm thick.Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add half the butter. Dip 9 of the bread slices completely into the batter and add to the skillet. Cook the slices, turning once, until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining bread.
4) Transfer the toasts to a baking sheet. Bake until the toasts are warmed through and slightly puffy, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5) Divide the toast between the plates and dust with icing sugar. Top with the mixed berries and serve immediately.