Made this? How was it?
For the Fried Calamari:
- 1 squid tube
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- 1 portion of tartar sauce, recipe below
- Salt and pepper
For the Tartar Sauce:
- 250ml Mayonnaise (homemade or shop bought)
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tbsp gherkins
- Small handful of parsley
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
How to make Fried Calamari with Tartar Sauce
Prepare the squid tube by removing the wings, head, innards and backbone (or ask your fishmonger to do this). Wash the squid, pat dry andinto rings approximately 1 cm wide.
Mix the egg and milk and place in a bowl. Make the breadcrumbs by whizzing stale breadand place in a bowl along with lots of pepper and a pinch of salt. Cover each ring in the egg mixture, then transfer to the breadcrumbs and coat evenly. Leave to sit for ten minutes before frying.
Place 5 cm of oil into a pan and put on high heat with a thermometer until it reaches 180°C.
Place one ring at a time into the oil until you have the heat right, it should take 60 seconds per ring. Cook in small batches, remove and lay on kitchen paper to absorb the oil and sprinkle with salt.
Finelythe gherkins and capers, place in a bowl with the other ingredients and dollop on the mayonnaise. Mix well and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Serve alongside calamari for a delicious summer appetiser or starter.
- Cinnamon and Vanilla Pod Hot Chocol...
- Cod Croisettes with Baked New Potat...
- Country vanilla sponge cake
- Lemon Drop Cupcakes
- Lemon drop afternoon tea cake
- Dulce de Leche Miniature Doughnuts
- Blackberry and Lemon Miniature Doug...
- Smoked Salmon Roll with Tartar Sauc...
- Melted Camembert with Cherry Jam
- Chocolate mousse with chilli chocol...
- Country fried tuna
- Only in Essex steamer clam cakes wi...