2) Heat 1cm of oil in a 30cm heavy-bottomed pan. Cut the plantain on the diagonal into 2.5cm thick pieces and remove the peel.
3) When the oil is hot, add the plantains and fry both sides until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt, pepper and minced garlic.
4) With a flat bottomed heat-proof glass bowl, smash the plantains evenly flat, embedding the garlic into them. Return to the hot oil and fry until dark golden brown.
5) Remove from the pan and drain again on paper, adding more coarse salt, to taste, the chilli flakes, cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lime juice.
6) Serve while hot with the sweet heat sauce for dipping.