Garlic and citrus chicken
Lemon-infused roast chicken with garlic and oregano.
1 whole roasting chicken, neck and giblets discarded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 orange, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped
800ml tinned reduced-sodium chicken broth
Try Knorr Stock Pots
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
1) Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 200°C.
2) Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
3) Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for one hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning.
4) Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 77°C, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer.
5) Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).
6) Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 250ml, stirring often, about three minutes. Strain into a 500ml measuring jug and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce.