Made this? How was it?
- 1 (2.25 to 2.7kg) whole roasting chicken, neck and giblets discarded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves,
- 2 (400g) tins reduced-salt chicken stock
- 60ml frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 60ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- of lemon, to garnish
How to make Garlic and citrus chicken
1) Position one of the shelves in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6. Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon and garlic halves. Tie the legs together with kitchen string to help hold the chicken's shape and sprinkle the skin with salt and pepper.
2) Place a wire rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Put the chicken in the oven and roast for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken stock to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning.
3)the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano and garlic in a medium bowl to . Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 77C, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding stock to the pan, about 45 minutes longer.
4) Transfer the chicken to a platter and tent with aluminium foil to keep warm while making the sauce (do not clean the pan). Place the same roasting pan over a medium-low heat.in any remaining stock and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 240ml, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
5) Strain the sauce into a 480ml glass measuringand discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce. Serve the chicken on a platter garnished with lemon , with the pan sauce in a separate jug to pour.
- Perfect roast chicken
- Lemon and garlic roast chicken
- Herb roasted chicken
- Salmon with lentils
- Cornish hens
- Fillet of beef
- Lemon chicken with croutons
- Loin of pork with fennel and garlic...
- Herb-marinated pork fillet
- Fillet of Beef Bourguignon
- Loin of pork with green peppercorns...
- Roasted pineapple-ginger chicken wi...