1. Mix together the cornflour and egg in a bowl, add some salt and pepper until it is a thick but runny batter.
2. Coat the tofu cubes in the mix. Heat a wok over high heat and fill ¼ of it full of peanut oil. Heat the oil to 180°C or until a piece of bread fries golden brown in 15 seconds.
3. Coat each piece of the tofu in the beaten egg mixture and add it into the wok.
4. Cook all the tofu until golden brown and then remove and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain any excess oil. Empty all the oil in the wok, leaving about 1 tablespoon.
5. In another bowl, add all the sweet sauce ingredients together and set aside.
6. Heat a wok over high heat and when wok starts to smoke, add the peanut oil. Add the onions first, then add in the peppers, add a bit of Shaoxing wine, then add the dried chillies and fry for a few seconds and stir-fry for a minute and then add the sauce to the wok and fry until the sauce has reduced and is slightly sticky and has a thicker consistency.
7. Toss in the fried tofu pieces, add the spring onions. Then transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed broccoli greens and plain Jasmine rice and sprinkle with peanuts.