Recipe by: Food Network Kitchens
More Recipes You May Like
- 4 large waxy-style potatoes (about 1kg)
- 2 tbsp salt, plus 2 tsp
- 3 strips streaky bacon (about 55g), minced
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion,
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 175ml chicken stock, homemade or reduced salt ready-made stock
- 80ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, plus 1 tsp
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 20g flat-leaf parsley leaves
How to make German-style Potato Salad
1) Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water to a depth of 2.5cm. Stir in 2 tbsp salt. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and simmer until just tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and cover with cling film to keep warm.
2) In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon, stirring frequently, until crispy and the fat has been rendered, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 45 seconds more. Add the remaining 2 tsp salt, stock, vinegar, mustard and sugar. Bring to the boil whilstconstantly. Remove from the heat.
3) Using your hands, rub the skins off the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 0.5-cm. Return the potatoes to the large bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat. Toss in the parsley and season with pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
Cook's Note: This potato salad is at its best served immediately or shortly afterwards at room temperature.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved