Recipe by: Food Network Kitchens
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 240ml applesauce
- 120ml light buttermilk
- 240ml treacle
- 90g soft dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 450g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 120ml water
- 45g unsalted butter
- Serving suggestion: Yoghurt Sauce, recipe follows
- For Yoghurt Sauce:
- 360g plain low-fat yoghurt
- 40g sugar
How to make Gingerbread - slimmed
1) Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas Mark 3. Lightly spray a 23 by 33 by 5-cm loaf tin with cooking spray. Line the tin with parchment or greaseproof paper.
2)together the applesauce, buttermilk, treacle, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs and until smooth.
3) Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and allspice together in a large bowl.
4) Add the treacle mixture into the flour mixture anduntil combined to form a smooth batter.
5)Bring the water and butter to the boil in a small saucepan. Add the hot liquid to the batter, anduntil just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
6) Bake the cake in the center of the oven for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin on a rack. Cut into 12 squares and serve with the yoghurt sauce.
7) To make Yoghurt Sauce: Line a strainer with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set over a small bowl. Stir the yoghurt, and put it in the strainer. Set aside at room temperature to drain and thicken, for about 30 minutes. Discard the excess liquid. In a small bowl, combine the thickened yoghurt with the sugar. Serve.