2) Cream the butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3) Add the treacle and egg and beat until smooth.
4) Sift the flour with bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
5) Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until well blended.
6) Pinch off a little of the dough and roll it into 2.5-cm balls (dough may be very moist, if so, dip hands in warm water before forming balls).
7) Dip each ball into the granulated sugar and arrange sugar side up on prepared baking sheet approximately 5cm apart.
8) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cracked on top.