- 1 kg watermelon rind
- 1 to taste water
- 800 g sugar
- 2 pieces cinnamon bark
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 60 ml honey
- 125 g almonds
How to make Glyko Karpouzi - Watermelon Preserve
- Place the rind cubes in a perserving pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for one hour or until the rind is translucent. Drain.
- Place 750 ml of water in a pan with sugar, cinnamon, lemon, half the lemon juice and the honey.
- Stir over gentle heat until the sugar dissolves and bring to the boil, skim when necessary.
- Add the drained watermelon rind, return to the boil and boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave for 12 hours or overnight.
- Return to the boil over medium heat and boil until the syrup thickens when tested on a cold saucer.
- Remove cinnamon and lemon peel.
- Add remaining lemon juice and toasted almonds.
- Boil one minute and then ladle into warm sterilized jars.
- Seal when cold.
(Courtesy of Food.com)