1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2) Place meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, add in garlic, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and sage. Mix meat, roll into 8 large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat balls with 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil. Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation half way into each ball and fill the cavity with some gorgonzola.
3) Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
4) Heat 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a sauce pot over medium heat, add bay and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in cream, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly 8 to 10 minutes.
5) Ladle sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs and potatoes alongside, if desired.