Made this? How was it?
- 3 to 4 medium shallots, in their skins
- 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt, crushed
- 450g fresh French beans, stemmed, and halved crosswise
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 225g Portabella or other brown mushrooms,
- 30g unsalted
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 350ml mushroom, vegetable, or chicken stock (see Cook's Note)
- 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 70g fresh bread crumbs
How to make Green bean casserole - slimmed
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
2) Put the shallots (in their skins) on a small baking dish, roast for about 30 minutes, until soft. When cool enough to handle, skin androughly . Set aside.
3) Bring a medium-large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt, to taste. Add the French beans, and cook, uncovered for about 3 minutes, until crisp-tender and bright green. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water then transfer to a large bowl.
4) In the same saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, season with about 1 teaspoon salt, cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes, until browned. Add the mushrooms to the beans.
5) Melt thein a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, for about 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until golden.
6) Slowlyin the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to the boil.
7) Add the shallots, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally.
8) Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine evenly.
9) Spray a 2-litre baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of thyme to bread crumbs and scatter over the vegetables.
10) Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, until the sauce bubbles and the crumbs brown.
Cook's Note: For this recipe, make sure you don't use an Asian-style mushroom stock. If you can't find mushroom, a vegetable or chicken stock is a suitable substitute.
Tips: When sauteing mushrooms, salt them right away--they will release moisture and you can use less oil a of fresh bread crumbs has less calories than a of dried - Roasting whole shallots is an excellent way to cook them using absolutely no fat
Copyright 2002 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved