For the seasoned broth:
1) Bring all ingredients, except the bonito shavings, to a simmer in a saucepan. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, remove from the heat and gently stir in the bonito shavings. Allow the broth to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before straining. Strain and discard solids.
For the sticky rice cakes:
1) Bring the rice vinegar, sugar and sea salt to a boil in a small sauce pan, remove from the heat and set aside. Place rice, water and konbu in a heavy bottom saucepan and cover, bring to a simmer over medium heat. When the rice begins to boil reduce the heat to low, stir it gently once and continue cooking, covered until all the liquid is absorbed. Allow the cooked rice to cool 10 to 15 minutes covered with a clean towel.
2) Turn the cooked rice out onto a tray or large bowl and fan it to cool. Using a large scoop or your hands moistened with a mixture of the vinegar and water portion the sticky rice into 6 balls and flatten them to form cakes. Lightly wrap the cakes and hold in a warm place until serving time.
For the grilled oregon chinook:
1) Preheat griddle.
2) Combine the tamari, ginger, chilli paste, lemon zest and sugar and pour over the salmon portions in a shallow dish. Turn the fish to coat it evenly, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3) Remove the salmon from the marinade and blot dry with paper towels. Brush the salmon with the oil on all sides. On a hot griddle cook for 2 to 3 minutes to brown and mark the fish nicely, turn and continue cooking to desired doneness, 2 to 3 more minutes.
4) Simmer the carrots, leeks and spring onions in the seasoned broth, until al dente, about 4 to 6 minutes.
5) To serve divide the broth with vegetables between 6 bowls, top each with a sticky rice cake, mushrooms, and a portion of salmon. Finally, sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.