Grilled salmon with red wine bbq sauce, hazelnut butter and cracked wheat salad with grilled vegetables
For the hazelnut butter: 1) Combine the hazelnuts, cherries and butter in a bowl of a food processor and mix until combined; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before using.
For the cracked wheat salad: 1) Preheat the griddle to high.
2) Place the bulgur in a large bowl; add the boiling water, 2 tsps salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, stir and let sit at room temperature until tender, about 25 minutes. If any water remains, place in a fine sieve and press down on it.
3) Put the vegetables in a large bowl, toss with a few tbsps of rapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper.
4) Griddle the vegetables on the grates of the griddle in a single layer. Griddle the peppers until charred on all sides, place in a bowl, cover with cling film and let steam for 10 minutes. Remove the skin, seeds and core and coarsely cutlet. Griddle the courgette for 3 to 4 minutes per side until slightly charred and just tender, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the griddle and cut crosswise into 1.5cm thick slices. Griddle the asparagus for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until just crisp tender. Remove from the griddle and cut on the bias into 1.5cm pieces. Griddle the tomatoes until charred all over and just tender, about 5 minutes total.
5) Place all of the vegetables, plus the jalapeno and the parsley in the bowl with the cooked bulgur.
6) Whisk together the zest, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in small bowl. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to combine. Let sit at room temperature until serving.
For the red wine bbq sauce: 1) Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
2) Add the wine, increase the heat to high and cook until reduced to about 125ml. Add the tomato ketchup and the remaining ingredients and cook until thickened and slightly reduced, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
For the salmon: 1) Preheat the griddle, cast iron griddle pan, or large nonstick saute pan over high heat. Brush salmon on both sides with canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
2) Griddle for about 4 minutes per side, brushing with some of the bbq sauce every 30 seconds.
3) Remove from the griddle, place on a platter and brush with more of the sauce.
4) Serve on top of cracked wheat salad and place a tbsp of the hazelnut butter on top of each salmon fillet. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.