2) Add the water, sugar, salt, wine, honey and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cool for 15 minutes then add the ice to cool completely.
3) Submerge the chicken pieces into the cooled brine and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours.
For the chicken:
1) Remove the chicken from the brine, rinse and pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the flour and spices. Divide the mixture between 2 shallow bowls. Pour the buttermilk in a separate bowl.
2) Dredge the chicken pieces in flour, then buttermilk, then dredge in the second bowl of flour. Set the pieces on a baking tray fitted with a wire rack and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet to 180C. Add the chicken carefully, cooking in batches, if necessary. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes, turning pieces as they brown.
4) Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately season with salt and serve.