For the Dressing:
1. Boil the tamarind, sugar and chilli. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice. It should be hot and sour. This can be adjusted to taste.
For the Beef:
1. Trim up the beef, leaving it in one large piece.
2. Leave at room temperature for at least 45 minutes.
3. Place a few handfuls of hay into a pot and set on fire. Let the hay burn to ash and set aside to cool. (caution it will hold heat for a long time) Once cool, pass the ash through a fine sieve. Set the powder aside.
4. Peel the grapefruit and segment, removing any seeds during the process. Place the segments into a large bowl.
5. The shallots, green beans, cabbage and spring onions need to be finely shredded. Add to the bowl with the grapefruit.
6. Toast the peanuts and roughly chop then add to the bowl with the bean shoots.
7. Leave in marinate together while cooking the beef.
8. Season beef well with salt and place on a super hot char grill. Once the beef has caramelised all over, place a few hand-full of hay onto the BBQ. Once the hay catches fire close the lid and turn the flame off. Leave to continue to cooking and smoking for 10 minutes.
9. Take off the grill and rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
1. Roll the beef in the hay ash so it is completely black. It is best to do this with rubber gloves on. Slice the beef thinly and lay on a large serving plate.
2. Dress the salad and serve on top of the beef.
3. To finish pour some of the dressing over the salad and beef.