For the cake:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Flour, for preparing tins
- Butter, for preparing tins
For the crunch:
- 120g hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 150g sugar
- 80ml water
For the filling and:
- 2 (225g) containers mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 240ml cream
- 95g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the topping:
- 45g plain chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
How to make Hazelnut crunch cake
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Butter and flour 2 (20cm) cake tins.
2) Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions, divide between the 2 cake tins and bake according to the package instructions. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
3) Place the toasted nuts close together in a single layer on a greaseproof paper-lined baking sheet. Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
4) Bring to the boil and cook until the sugar is light brown, about 8 minutes. Let the bubbles subside then pour the caramelized sugar over the nuts. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and let the sugar nut mixture cool until hard, about 30 minutes.
5) When the sugar nut mixture is hard and cool, top with another piece of parchment paper and pound into small pieces, or place the sugar nut mixture on a cutting board and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
6) Put the mascarpone cheese, cream, powdered sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl andinto soft peaks using an electric mixer. Fold the sugar nut mixture into the cream.
7) Place the chocolate, sugar and zest in a food processor. Process the mixture until the chocolate is finely ground.
8) Put one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with 2cm of thecream crunch mixture and add the second layer of cake. Continue the entire cake with the remaining cream crunch mixture. Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with the ground chocolate. Serve.