- 120g unsalted butter
- 2 small yellow onions,
- 40g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Defatted turkey drippings plus chicken stock to make 500ml, heated
- 1 tbsp cognac or brandy
- 1 tbsp white wine, optional
- 1 tbsp double cream, optional
How to make Homemade gravy
1) In a large (25 to 30cm) saute pan, cook the butter and onions over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Don't rush this step; it makes all the difference when the onions are well-cooked.
2) Sprinkle the flour into the pan,in, then add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock mixture and cognac, and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened.
3) Add the wine and cream, if desired. Season, to taste, and serve.