Recipe by: Food Network Kitchens
More Recipes You May Like
- 140g stone-ground yellow polenta (cornmeal)
- 70g plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt plus extra to serve
- Pinch of cayenne
- 310ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 spring onions, finely
- Vegetable oil for frying
How to make Hushpuppies
1) Into a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cayenne.
2) Add the buttermilk or yoghurt, egg and spring onions and using a rubber spatula, stir until a batter is formed. (Take care not to over-mix the batter or the Hushpuppies will be dense.)
3) To fry the Hushpuppies: Heat approximately 5cm of oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat to 190C. Working in small batches, using a greased teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil.
4) Fry the Hushpuppies, turning once using a metal perforated spoon, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the Hushpuppies to a plate lined with paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately Cook's Note: Using a spoon lightly greased with vegetable oil to form the hushpuppies helps to release the batter.
Additionally, if you drop the batter off the tip of the spoon it will form ball shapes; if dropped off the side it will form oblong shapes.