- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1.50 water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta
- 1.50 lbs boneless beef shank
- 1.50 lbs beef chuck
- 1 to taste salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onions
- 3 garlic clove
- 0.50 dry red wine
- 14 ounces plum tomato
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 0.25 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
How to make Italian Beef Stew
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Soak mushrooms in 1-1/2 cups water in small bowl.
- Heat 2 T. oil in Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly crisped, about 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add 1 T. oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Saute beef in batches in oil until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes each batch. Transfer to bowl with pancetta.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Rinse mushrooms thoroughly, then coarsely chop. Strain soaking liquid through fine sieve or doubled cheesecloth; there should be about 3/4 cup.
- Add remaining 1 T. oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add reserved mushroom liquid and the wine. Increase heat to medium-high and boil 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, rosemary,
(Courtesy of Food.com)