Made this? How was it?
For the house seasoning:
- 16 tbsp salt
- 4 tbps black pepper
- 4 tbsp garlic powder
For the onion:
- 140g plain flour
- Groundnut oil, for frying
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 240ml beer
- 1 large Vidalia onion (Vidalia onions are a special sweet onion only sold in the USA. You can substitute with a sweet yellow onion)
- Ice water
How to make Jr's Texas tumbleweed
1)For the house seasoning: Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
2) In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, beer and House Seasoning together. Let rest on the counter for 15 minutes to 3 hours.
3) Preheat oil in deep-fryer to 180C.
4)1-1.5cm off the top of the onion. Peel off the skin. Cut a base out of the bottom but leave the root intact. the onion in half, then into quarters, then into eighths. Continue until you've cut the onion 16 times. Slicing the onion in this way creates petals. Do not cut all the way down to the bottom. This will keep the flower together. Spread the petals of the onion apart. Soak the onion in ice water to help separate the petals.
5) Dip the onion in the beer batter. Separate the petals and get the batter between them.
6) Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Remove the onion with a spider from the fryer and let drain on a sheet tray lined kitchen towels.