1. For the ribs, season the ribs with 2 tablespoons of the seasoning salt, the garlic powder and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
2. Put the ribs in a large pot, add water to cover, and sprinkle in the remaining 2 tablespoons seasoning salt and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Add the garlic, butter, olive oil and onion. Bring to boil and cook until the ribs are tender, about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, make the hickory BBQ sauce, put the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne in a saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Transfer the ribs to a baking sheet and coat with BBQ sauce. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
6. Take the ribs out of the oven and turn on the broiler. Brush the ribs with more BBQ sauce and broil, turning once or twice and brushing with more BBQ sauce, until crisped. Serve hot.