1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2) In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix together. Add the flour mixture and continue mixing until just combined.
4) Add the chocolate and almonds and mix until combined. Using two tablespoons or a small ice cream scoop, drop the dough 5cm apart on sheet pans lined with parchment. Bake for 15 minutes.
5) Cool the cookies on the cookie sheets. The cookies should be very soft when they are removed from the oven. They will firm up as they cool.