Lamb Chops with Root Vegetables and Colcannon
Gorgeous grilled lamb with hearty root veg and Irish mash.
1) Heat a frying-pan with a lid over medium to medium-high heat. Add the butter, carrots, swede and onion. Cook the veggies for five minutes, stirring frequently. Add the stock, bring to a simmer then reduce heat and cover. Cook the vegetables for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
2) Preheat grill to high for lamb.
3) Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes in salted water. Drain potatoes and return them to the hot pot and mash.
4) Heat stock to a simmer. Chop the kale tops, discarding tough stems. Add the kale to the broth and cover. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
5) Place the chops in a tray about 15-20cm from the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and season the chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Let the chops rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
6) In a large skillet over moderate heat, melt the butter and add the milk. Season with nutmeg and thyme and add the spring onions to the pan.
7) Transfer the kale from its cooking liquid to the milk and butter mixture using a slotted spoon. Stir in 120ml of the cooking liquid. Add the mashed potatoes to the milk and kale and stir until combined and creamy, one or two minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve the chops with vegetables and colcannon. Warm up Irish soda bread or brown bread and serve with soft, unsweetened butter. The bread makes a nice starter, side or ending to this meal.