2) Preheat oven to 180°C / gas mark 4. Remove the shanks from the brine and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic, to taste.
3) Coat the shanks with flour and saute in the virgin olive oil in a medium saute pan over a medium-high heat until golden brown, about five minutes each side. Place the shanks in a roasting pan with the crushed tomatoes.
4) In same saute pan that the shanks were seared in, saute the carrots, celery stalks, onion, fresh fennel and garlic until tender, about five minutes over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and add to the roasting pan.
5) Deglaze the saute pan with the red wine and orange juice. Cook until reduced by half and then add to the roasting pan.
6) Add a handful each of fresh Italian parsley and fresh oregano to the roasting pan. Cover and roast in the oven for two hours or until tender. After one hour, turn the shanks and cover for the remaining time, making sure the shanks are covered in the gravy.
7) Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs and parsley and your favourite Italian cheese. Best served with polenta!
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.