Made this? How was it?
- 400g sifted caster sugar, divided in two
- 185g sifted soft flour (not self-rising)
- 10 to 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest (2 lemons)
How to make Lemon angel food cake
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Combine 100g of sugar with the flour and sift together 4 times. Set aside.
2) Place the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with aattachment and beat on high speed until the eggs make medium-firm peaks, about 1 minute.
3) With the mixer on medium speed, add the remaining 300g of sugar by sprinkling it over the beaten egg whites.for a few minutes until thick and shiny.
4)in the vanilla and lemon zest and continue to until very thick, about 1 more minute. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold it into the batter with a rubber spatula. Continue adding the flour by fourths by sifting and folding until it's all incorporated.
5) Pour the batter into an ungreased 20cm tube pan, smooth the top, and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, until it springs back to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan on a cooling rack until cool.