Serves: 2 cakes1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Grease and flour two (22 by 10 by 7cm) loaf tins. You may also line the bottom with greaseproof paper, if desired.
2) Cream the butter and 450g of the granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.
3) Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 60ml lemon juice, the buttermilk and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
4) Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared tins, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
5) Combine 110g granulated sugar with 120ml lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
6) Remove the cakes from the tins and set them on a rack over a tray or sheet pan. Allow the cakes to cool completely before adding the lemon glaze.
7) For the glaze, combine the icing sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.